Help Its Getting Cold

Kovalciks Chickens

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Richmond, Michigan
Alright this is my 2nd winter and I would appreciate it if people gave me ideas on how they keep their chickens warm. All my birds have big combs so frost bite is a factor. We have little windows of screen that run along the top of the coop and it is very drafty. Last year we made boxes with lights in them but I only had 5 chickens now with a ton of em idk how to keep em warm. Can someone post ideas.

You're certainly in a cold zone, some thoughts with pics in the link below!
cool.png

The two big things are keeping water liquid and avoiding direct drafts while maintaining ventilation.
One trick I use when it's unbelievably cold is to leave small apples in the bedding in case there is a power failure and the water in the electric dog bowl freezes..the hens are used to pecking at them.

Last edited:
My thinking is that if you can't keep the coop draft free (which it seems you'd have a hard time doing), you wouldn't want to keep the coop *too* much warmer than the outside temps, unless it's really *very* cold. Here is my reasoning, which might be all wet:

The difference in the temperature of the draft, and the inside temp - A big difference relates to more problems. Think of the chickens being outside at cold temps, and have no problems doing so. Bringing them into a warm environment with the cold draft equals problems.

The warmer you make it, the more problem you'll have with moisture. The more moisture, the more likely you'll have frostbite.

I have nothing to base my opinions on except possibly common sense (which I might not possess much of).
wink.png

Ed

well my chickens never go outside in the winter they stay inside and try to stay warm. I just went in the coop and their are icicles hanging from the ceiling so idk what to do. Even if it was 0 degrees outside and a 5 degree difference inside wouldnt they still get frost bitten. I have used vaseline but i have so many birds now thats not really an option.

too much ventilation cuz we have lil wire screen windows in there and since it rained last night and then the water must have froze so i mean water gets in and its pretty drafty cuz u can see cob webs move from the wind.

Quote:
I did not mean to suggest that the difference leads to frostbite, only that it might cause other problems. Low temps will cause frostbite (therefore I use Vaseline), not the difference between the 2 environments.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom