1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, it's only 80.2 degrees with a 60 watt. Would a 100 wat work?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Zahboo, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I have my little brooder, with the light I have, it's only 80.2. The chicks are 1 week old.

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I would try a 100 watt bulb. I am currently using a 250 watt bulb to heat my brooder. It will depend on the size of your brooder.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I keep a reg. 75 watt light bulb in my brooder light for the house.

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    :thOkay. It doesn't matter that much now. The one we were getting chicks from just texted and said the chicks all died (To me it sounds odd, plus saying it through a TEXT) but i feel bad about that. My boyfriend feels even worse since they were part of my v-day gift....

5. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    so sad to hear if you were closer i would give some to your bf to give to you sorry

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Don't get discouraged. Local feed stores are getting chicks in this time of year so get some there. Maybe a blessing... the guy may not have good chicks. Keep your chin up and find another source.

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    We haven't found feed stores. He (poor him) has called EVERYONE on CL with chicks, I find that funny. He's more discouraged than me, but he shouldn't be. He tried!

8. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Tell him to get you an incubator instead! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by