HELP!!!! Ive got a serious chicken problem!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alleychick, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Alleychick

Alleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok, I have ten hens that are 19 months old and they are molting or almost done now. My problem is that one hen is getting picked on. All of the girls have always been together. The hen (thelma) is very skinny now, her skin is very pale, and shes missing alot of feathers. Then i noticed some of the other chickens pulling her feathers out, and she has bled some. Cleaned her all up but she is terrified. I seperated her 10 days ago, she has not laid an egg since and doesnt want to eat her feed. She drinks water and eats treats and likes to come outside with me. My question is: 1. Will she ever get better? 2. Can I ever put her back in with the other girls? 3. Is she ok by herself? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everyone else I ask says I should kill her. Not an option for me really.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Bump!

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    keep her seperate until she heals up and then introduce her back to the flock slowly with maybe some fencing between for a few days. Make sure she is getting enough real food (not just treats) and make her a pro-biotic mash to help boost her, some scrambled eggs would be good too since they need extra protein while molting.

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

She will get picked on when reintroduced to the flock. Blue Kote spray all red/raw or bright pink areas. Chickens must see blood even if it is mocroscopic, and peck at it viciously.

5. Alleychick

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My neighbor said its the "pecking order" and they will just do it again even if shes put on weight and grows her feathers back. Does that make sense?

6. This can be a real problem. The hen MUST be healed completely, no blood spots.

It is OK for missing feathers, but she should be seperated from the other girls so they can see her, but not get to her.

A hen that has a roo after her will get blood and missing feathers, but usually the rest of the flock will not harm her. The roo takes care of that problem.

When i find a hen that has been hit hard my a roo I rehome the hen to a friends property. He does not have a roo to speak of and the hens seem to thrive there.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Lack of protein in the diet can lead to feather picking. When your girls are moulting, give extra protein (like black oil sunflower seeds). As for the injured girl, keep her separate intil she is healed. You may consider putting her with one or two quiet hens for a while. Once she has bonded with them, reintroduce everybody at the same time. Reintroduce them at night. When everybody is roosting, put them on the roost with them. Then watch closely the next morning for any serious problems.

8. Alleychick

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I dont have a rooster.

9. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I would for sure take one of your other hens out and put the two together. One hen alone usually doesn't eat well and will be a lot harder to reintroduce. If she has a buddy it will go much easier for her.

If you can identify a specific hen that is the ringleader when it comes to picking you can remove her too for a few days that will mess up her place in the order so she'll have other things to worry about and won't be as aggressive.

The pecking order will change over time, it isn't hopeless for your picked on hen. [​IMG]

10. Alleychick

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for all of your help, but im wondering how long will i have to keep em seperate. We dont really have a good place to keep seperate birds. Something hubby and i didnt plan out very well. Im curious to know where all of you keep extra or injured birds while they recoup?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by