Help, jello eggs from favorite Buckeye hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Triplecross, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    I have an assortment of young hens ( 7 months) I raised last July. One is a Buckeye and she is now a breed I was hoping to get into because she is so friendly, curious and a great forager. But...

She is only dropping jello eggs at the roost and nothing else. All my other 12 hens are nice hard shelled eggs in the nest boxes.

I could put out calcium, but I think this is specific problem with her body and not the layer feed I give them.

So what would you all do? I don't want to keep scooping out dirty jello eggs (afraid the others will eat it!) and as much as I like her, I don't have a place for special hens at this point on my farm.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It could be just that she is a new layer and her body hasn't worked things out yet.
    If they're all laying, continue to feed a layer type food and offer a calcium source like oyster shell in a separate container. Even if they aren't all laying and you provide an all flock type feed, offer the oyster shell.

Calcium isn't the only critical thing but the ratio of calcium with phosphorus, vitamin D3 and to a lesser extent, manganese.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/li...eggs-and-your-small-flock-of-laying-hens.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by