Help!!! Jelly eggs and Water belly??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aly uovo, Aug 31, 2016.

1. aly uovo

aly uovo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Hey everyone,
    My BCM (15months) hen laid 2 jelly eggs yesterday and had a dirty vent (which she is normally quite clean!) So I washed her down a bit and noticed her belly/under her vent was protruding and soft - I'm not sure this is what it should typically look like...?? I've never noticed this before but it appears she is molting in that area and on her chest a bit, so maybe it just looks funny without the feathers? I was comparing her to my EEs, but they are so much smaller it wasn't very helpful.

She allows me to touch it and wash without any concern. Today I massaged it a bit - it's very squishy and I can't feel anything solid inside.

She is acting normal: breathing eating, walking, drinking, etc
    She eats: pellets, limited scratch, grit, vegetables/fruit, and free ranges every day
    We have had an EXTREMELY hot summer this year for our area

Below are some pics of her after I hosed her down yesterday
    Thanks so much for your help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ineedafix

ineedafix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    One of mine just started laying her first eggs last week. She laid 5 in 5 days. Two days ago, no egg. Saw them all eating something "clear" in the run. Wasn't sure what to think of it. Checked out "Mae". She looked fine, was acting fine. Could not feel an egg inside her. Just figured it was a hormonal thing. This am when I went to the run she came out with the others, seemed fine, then whoops, a small amount of clear came out of her vent. Checked her out. Slightly dirty feathers, but other than that, she seems fine. Is this just a hiccup in in the laying process or do I need to do something more proactive? Comb is good, appetite seems fine, she talks and walks fine. Just don't want to lose another one. I hope someone answers . . .

What you described I found from a post in 2011. This is what the response was, hope it helps.

This happened to one of my chickens. I tried the treatment for a bound egg. Soaked in warm water for 30 min massaged and kept under heat lamp. No egg I then dusted her and all the ground and hay in the coup with diatomatious earth (make sure it is not what you use for swimming pools) which is supposed to treat mites. It worked! Swelling is down and she is getting back to normal. The other chickens were not affected.

3. aly uovo

Apr 3, 2013
    Update:didn't get a chance to soak her today as the temperature dropped quite a bit - supposed to go back up tomorrow.

She looks the same and is acting normal - bulge is still very squishy - attempted to drain but NOTHING came out. I've separated her within the coop tonight to see if she can give me any new clues.

Comb is red, but a little purple-ish at the tips

Thanks in advance for any tips / advice!

4. ineedafix

ineedafix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    How is your chicken doing? Hope she is better. Just wanted to check.

5. aly uovo

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks @ineedafix - she is still acting completely normal - it is so weird! She hasn't laid an egg since Wednesday afternoon.

I've been keeping her in a large crate over night to monitor droppings - everything looks good.

Growth is still large and squishy, feathers are fluffy and look great except for some missing - looks a lot better than the other day

I'm wondering if she has had this for a long time and I only just noticed because of the loss of feathers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by