1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Just agreed to foster a baby quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pixiedouglas, Jun 6, 2011.

1. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know how old yet, it's a California Quail I think and it's just one. I've taken care of baby chickens, never a quail. What do I need to do?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    all they really need is food(any gamebird starter that is 24% protien non-medicated will do) and clean water, one quail really isn't much to take care of she can pretty much live in anything that is larger then 2 cubic feet

3. pixiedouglas

can she eat chick starter or is that not high enough in protein?

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i have heard of people using that, but i've also heard that its either not good for them, or not AS good for them

i'm sure she would be fine on it for a day or so, but i would invest in some GBS(game bird starter) if you plan to keep for a long time

5. pixiedouglas

Thank you so much, I will do that.

Will she be ok being an only? I don't have a clue where I'd find another quail to keep her company and I've heard you can't keep chickens with them. I can put a little stuffed animal in with her so she has something to snuggle on. Other than that I can just care for her like I would a baby chicken? heat, marbles in the water, etc?

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Get the chick on gamebird food starter. It does not need to be medicated. Chicken chick starter does not have enough protein for quail. If the baby is still less than a week old, keep the brooder temp at 95-97 degrees. It is also recommended that gamebirds have antibiotics put in the water for the first 10 days.

Do the same thing you have done with chickens, and lower the temp in the brooder 5 degrees each week till the quail is 5 weeks old. I would recommend finding it a companion as quail are sociable birds and need other to interact with.

Do not keep it with chickens as chickens can and will kill quail.

Good luck with your new baby! [​IMG]

7. pixiedouglas

I'll keep her away from the chickens. If I find another quail later on do they have the same issues as chickens where you can't introduce different ages? Guess I'll be making a post on CL to ask who I can buy one baby quail from!

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:Quail can drown in their water. So if she is still really small, take a lid from a pickle jar or something similar and put some tiny stones in the bottom and fill with water. That way the chick will wade in the water to get a drink.

Try to give her as much attention as you can so she is not lonely. Lots of times chicks won't survive all alone. Adding a tiny stuffed animal is a good idea. [​IMG]

9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Being that she is an only bird, you probably won't have trouble introducing and other quail later on. But I would keep my eyes open early on, before she becomes too old. Do some research in your area in that maybe someone raises quail and you can get another companion for her.

10. pixiedouglas

thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by