HELP! Just got a new city backyard flock of 7 chicks 3 months ago, and 2 are cockerels! What do I do?!

chicon

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 26, 2013
Detroit, MI
Help!

My wife and I just got our second flock ever about 3 months ago, and it turns out that TWO of the seven are males.

We live in a residential neighborhood in Detroit, Michigan. Chickens are not allowed! We have an 8 foot cedar privacy fence around the backyard, but the two boys each started crowing yesterday! LOUDLY! We don't know what to do. We don't want to get caught by the city and be forced to lose our flock. I fear the roosters will drive angry neighbors to call Animal Control on us. And plus - we don't want more chickens. We want unfertilized eggs to eat, and we don't want aggressive roosters in the backyard. They're not aggressive yet, except to each other. But we fear what they'll be like in 6 months or a year.

WHAT DO WE DO?

Rehoming seems impossible, we've called around. Neutering seems also extremely unlikely, haven't found a willing bird vet yet. Can't cull them. We did that in Texas and it was pretty jarring.

Anyone deal with this before?

Thanks so much for reading.

Help!

My wife and I just got our second flock ever about 3 months ago, and it turns out that TWO of the seven are males.

We live in a residential neighborhood in Detroit, Michigan. Chickens are not allowed! We have an 8 foot cedar privacy fence around the backyard, but the two boys each started crowing yesterday! LOUDLY! We don't know what to do. We don't want to get caught by the city and be forced to lose our flock. I fear the roosters will drive angry neighbors to call Animal Control on us. And plus - we don't want more chickens. We want unfertilized eggs to eat, and we don't want aggressive roosters in the backyard. They're not aggressive yet, except to each other. But we fear what they'll be like in 6 months or a year.

WHAT DO WE DO?

Rehoming seems impossible, we've called around. Neutering seems also extremely unlikely, haven't found a willing bird vet yet. Can't cull them. We did that in Texas and it was pretty jarring.

So many people go through this. Caponizing (neutering) is not a good option. It is super super risky, and it just makes a fat chicken that is confused.
You need to make a choice. It may seem impossible, but it’s really bad for your girls to have both around. You just can’t do it.
Culling may be the option. And maybe you’ll get lucky and someone will want a roo.
But you just can‘t keep them all.

Actually there’s nothing wrong with eating fertilized eggs.

And although some roosters can become aggressive, most are total sweethearts!

I would definitely look into rehoming.

It’s your responsibility to look out for them, since you purchased them knowing that you are not allowed any chickens where you live unfortunately.

Help!

We live in a residential neighborhood in Detroit, Michigan. Chickens are not allowed! We have an 8 foot cedar privacy fence around the backyard, but the two boys each started crowing yesterday! LOUDLY! We don't know what to do. We don't want to get caught by the city and be forced to lose our flock. I fear the roosters will drive angry neighbors to call Animal Control on us. And plus - we don't want more chickens. We want unfertilized eggs to eat,
Ok, wait. So, chickens illegal where you are? Then why start this flock? It likely will end badly for you and the birds.
Also, there is literally NO difference between fertile and infertile eggs to eat unless you incubate, lol.
YOU WILL NOT GET MORE BIRDS UNLESS YOU WANT THEM. They only grow under high temps and humidity.

I’m kind of on board with the other poster. If chickens are not legal there, why did you get them?
My hens make an awful racket when laying eggs, they’re just as loud as roosters most the time and it goes on either for a minute or all day when they’re laying.
I get the desire for chickens but in my honest opinion, knowing this was illegal you just set your self and your birds up for failure.
Big time. You want to be responsible for the roosters currently, but I foresee you coming back and asking this same question about the hens when they start to lay.
I also foresee you coming back when someone reports you for having chickens and asking us for advice and help.
Bottom line, get all those birds a new home quickly. Or if you don’t cull them, they’re going to be forcibly taken away by legal action and probably end up dead anyways.
I feel you have made a very poor, and rash decision that your birds will have to suffer for now.
Be an adult and get all those birds a new home. Don’t knowingly go out and break the law and expect it to be all hunky dory

If you meet me here on Thursday i will take them i have a batchlor coop and will gladly take them in Shared route
From Detroit, Michigan to Magic Wok via I-75 S.

58 min (59 mi)
58 min in current traffic

1. Head east on Cadillac Square toward Bates St
2. Turn right onto Bates St
3. Turn right onto E Congress St
4. Turn left onto Griswold St
5. Turn right onto W Jefferson Ave
6. Continue straight onto M-10 N/John C Lodge Fwy
7. Take exit 2A for I-75 S toward Toledo
8. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-75 S/Toledo
9. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-75 S/Toledo
10. Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 208 for I-280 S toward Cleveland
11. Take exit 11 for OH-25 S toward Downtown
12. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for OH-25 S/Greenbelt Pkwy/Downtown
13. Merge onto OH-25 S/Greenbelt Pkwy
14. Continue straight onto N Michigan St
15. Turn left onto Madison Ave
16. Arrive at location: Toledo
17. Head northeast on N Erie St toward Adams St
18. Use the 2nd from the right lane to turn right onto Adams St
19. Arrive at location: Magic Wok
For the best route in current traffic visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/HxZyMECn11ga7hXt5

Help!

WHAT DO WE DO?

Move to the country! Lol I told my husband if any of our chicks turned out to be roosters, we were moving. I couldn't stand to give any of them away!

Back
Top Bottom