Help!!!! Just got two new baby chicks and one looks like it has a Tumor outside of it.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KiraAnn1985, Jan 14, 2014.

1. KiraAnn1985

KiraAnn1985 New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    Just got two new baby chicks and one looks like it has a Tumor outside of it.I went to wash poop of of her foot and I saw this thing outside of its neck What is it???? Will she be okay? She acts fine but I'm nervous. The lady I got them from denies knowing about it however I don't believe her. She says they are Buff oroingtons. [​IMG]

2. albert7777

albert7777 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2013
    Australia
    That’s the chicken crop, I think it stores food for later digestion. It looks too full though. What have you fed it?

3. KiraAnn1985

KiraAnn1985 New Egg

Apr 7, 2013
    They are feeding it medicated chicken starter feed. I took the food away and it is going down now but looks red still and featherless. I have had 7 baby chicks in my 2 years of having chickens and have never seen this before so it was weird to me. She seems fine though.

4. albert7777

albert7777 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2013
    Australia
    If it doesn’t look lethargic or anything, just open its beak and see if it smells sour. If not, it should shrink after a while and the chick will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by