HELP! Just had one of my cochins hatch in the incubator...when to move

It's ok for 24 hours in there, but wait until a second one has hatched and dried off a bit, give it a couple of hours. A chick on it's own in a brooder is a NOISY one!

I leave mine in till they dry. Some say it's safe to leave them for up to 3 days and I read that they can dehydrate if left in like that. I just let mine dry then take them out. I've also heard not to open the bator but I do and still they hatch. I open the window on top and quickly remove the chick. I don't have any problems. I also don't like to leave chicks in with eggs that haven't hatched yet. They roll them around and they don't seem to hatch. I have better hatch rates by removing the chicks.

It will be fine for a day or so.Chicks have enough natural food store from the yolk for 3 day's.Wait until it is dried and fluffed a bit at least 24 hour's.If you have a slow next hatcher the first one will do just fine alone and they will readily huddle each other when the next hatche's if you have to put one alone in brooder at first.Congrat's on your baby.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks sooo much for the info. My chick is chirping loudly and trying to get moving. I hope he dosesn't ware himself out, but he is drying off now.

Once it wobbles around on it's feet and not shuffling, it'll be fine to remove. I know the feeling you have - all you want to do is grab it and stare at it for the next few hours!!

Quote:
That may depend on the breed. I have silkie/americauna crosses and pure americauna's that's been hatching out for a couple months now and when I put a lone one in the brooder it just settles down for a rest. By the time it's up and trying to learn to stand it has a buddy anyway. I also try to get them out so they don't roll the other eggs around. It's not always possible but most of the time it is. For me anyway. I have small hatches, from 4 to a dozen at a time.

I love the carton idea... it would have to be better than the knocking around the first one is doing to his buddies. Should I move them back to original position or just let it go?

They'll be fine, the next chick will just move them anyway. I swear by cartons, I hatched 4/4 last time in cartons, and left 5 lying down. Only got 3 from the 5. Cartons forever more.

Back
Top Bottom