HELP......Just hatched chick issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My last chick hatched last night at 11:00 and this morning it is still really gummy. It's yolk sac was not completely absorbed, but is more absorbed this morning. I tried to clean it up a bit with a warm wash cloth, and then put it back in the incubator. It's chirping a lot, should I leave it in the incubator, or put it in the brooder? I moved the other 3 to the brooder this morning, so it's this one and 1 other one in the incubator.

The other one that is in the incubator with it is injured. It pulled some of its intestines out while hatching. (it was the first to pip, but just had trouble hatching. I put a band aid over it so it wouldn't stick to anything. I don't imagine there's anything more I can do for this one. [​IMG]

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG, i'm sorry i don't have any experience with unabsorbed yolk or other.

i'm wishing lucky for you and the babies.

hope the expert come soon to help you.

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

The one with the un absorbed yolk, should be left in the incubator, you dont really want to move it around much, perhaps try and give it some water and a tiny bit of food.. As for the one with the intestine problem, are you 100% sure its the intestines, a photo could be really helpful!

Good luck! [​IMG]

ETA: If the yolk remains unabsorbed for more than a few days, let it dry up and it will be easy to pull off.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  4. ccoomber

ccoomber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    I had a little one with a little bit of yolk that was unabsorbed, i just kept it clean and eventually it dried up and fell off. the chick is now 4 weeks old and very healthy! Hope your little guy makes it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:No, I'm not 100% sure, it's just what it looked like. Or like the vent was inside out. I'll try to get a picture uploaded.(husband has been downloading a bunch of stuff, so it's REAL SLOW) Strangely enough, it seems to be doing fine otherwise. I gave it a bit of water.

So once the yolk falls off, I can move them both to the brooder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by