Help! Just hatched chick -neck stuck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tammir, Feb 2, 2013.

1. tammir

tammir Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    I don't know if there is anything that can be done, but I just had a chick hatch- upside down? He just kind of backed out of the large end of the egg- didn't really zip just worked himself a decent sized hole and backed out of it wing first. Unlike the other chicks that hatched last weekend, and the first one out today, he can't get his head to straighten out- it's like it still has the double bend in it and is stuck under its wing. His skin was kind of purple when he hatched out too. I'm posting some pictures, but everytime he tries to get his head right, he just winds up rolling back into his 'egg' shape/position from before he hatched.

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Sounds kinda like wry neck but I am not an expert....

3. tammir

Feb 15, 2012
    Last weekend was the first time I've ever hatched eggs, so I'm new at this and don't know what that is. I'm trying to get a picture attached....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
  5. tammir

Feb 15, 2012
    I guess I may have over reacted - now its a couple of hours later, and it's neck seems to be straightening out just fine on its own. It's still staggering around and resting but I'm hoping it will be okay. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by