Help?? Just hatched chick. With pics.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mandalina, May 27, 2010.

1. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    This chick just hatched last night and my broody rejected it.
    I have never hatched our own chicks and I know a lot of chicks have yolk still in them, but is this it??
    It didnt look this big last night and now it is breathing heavy? Could it be infected?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    could this be mushy chick disease/omphalitis???

3. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    why is no one ever on in the am???

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Did you help it out?

5. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    nope, it hatched on it's own and the broody pushed it to the side and left it there. thankfully coop was warm bc I dodnt find it for a while.

I am really worried, it isnt really walking, just kind of scootching.It just went over to the water dish though and is drinking and chirping which seems normal, but the buldge is so weird looking.

6. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    the chick is up drinking water unassisted, attempted eating but didnt quite manage it.She still isnt walking right, but I checked her and no curled toes.I think it is just bc of the edema from the yolk.

wish I knew if she is ok, I am alreayd attatching to her bc she is just the sweetest little happy butt ever.

7. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    sorry to not have any advice. it does look like the yolk. would these things just reabsorb into the body?

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Is the chick able to defecate? Doe it have an anus?

9. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Hard to say because I can't turn the picture around to look at the whole chick, but they usually have big bellies where the yolk sac has been absorbed, and it's used up in the next few days. Looks normal, but again, I can't see the whole chick.
    The other poster who asked about defecating-- good question--- not being able to see everything- be sure it's pooping, eating, drinking.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Oh, sorry Mandalina! I was visiting a BYCer in town we traded some birds.
    Sounds like your bird didn't absorb his yolk sack all the way. I had a chick like that and I though for sure he wasn't going to make it and I started feeding him egg yolk ( Not with the egg white. ) mixed with alittle water and he perked up just like that!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by