1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Just read what not to feed them

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crzychicken, Jan 8, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    O my I just read what not to feed your chicken and POTATO Skins was a NO NO and my son just fed them some the other day what should I do is their anything

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If it hasn't hurt them yet I wouldn't worry about it. [​IMG]

3. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    yah, i wouldnt worry either. If i recall, they're just not much for root veggies.

I dont think they're poison or anything.

4. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    My son made french fries with his friends and fed the chickens the peels he said about 1 cup to 11/2c.I hope they will be fine

5. Kitchenella

Kitchenella Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Beitar Illit, Israel
    Did the chickens eat them? Mine won't touch them.

PEggy

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    On a site I go to over in the UK many there take all of their peelings plus other kitchen scraps and some grains and boil them up to give to their birds as a soft warm mash.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've given potatoe skins to my chickens since they were old enough to eat them and they do just fine. Nice big birds, big beautiful eggs.... actually they've slowed down in laying and I haven't given them skins since before Christmas.... this Sunday they'll get some more potatoe peelings.

I noticed no difference in how they act and the poo is just as normal as ever when they eat them.

8. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    if the skin is green it has a toxicity but I believe in very small amounts like apple seeds,I feed mine potato skins all the time,in fact I eat potato skins also and we are all ok,but I dont lay eggs

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mine get all kinds of stuff on the nono list... all organics go to compost...they are fine, They tend to not touch it though and the stuff composts without digestion first.

10. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Hey, crzy. I've never had a problem with feeding potato skins, although potatoes is not one of their favorite things to eat. I don't believe anything is off limits when it comes to what a chicken will eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by