Help! Just read what not to feed them

crzychicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
O my I just read what not to feed your chicken and POTATO Skins was a NO NO and my son just fed them some the other day what should I do is their anything

If it hasn't hurt them yet I wouldn't worry about it.
wink.png

My son made french fries with his friends and fed the chickens the peels he said about 1 cup to 11/2c.I hope they will be fine

On a site I go to over in the UK many there take all of their peelings plus other kitchen scraps and some grains and boil them up to give to their birds as a soft warm mash.

I've given potatoe skins to my chickens since they were old enough to eat them and they do just fine. Nice big birds, big beautiful eggs.... actually they've slowed down in laying and I haven't given them skins since before Christmas.... this Sunday they'll get some more potatoe peelings.

I noticed no difference in how they act and the poo is just as normal as ever when they eat them.

if the skin is green it has a toxicity but I believe in very small amounts like apple seeds,I feed mine potato skins all the time,in fact I eat potato skins also and we are all ok,but I dont lay eggs

Mine get all kinds of stuff on the nono list... all organics go to compost...they are fine, They tend to not touch it though and the stuff composts without digestion first.

Hey, crzy. I've never had a problem with feeding potato skins, although potatoes is not one of their favorite things to eat. I don't believe anything is off limits when it comes to what a chicken will eat.

Back
Top Bottom