Help! keet hatched yesterday, can't stand...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by favorelle fab, Dec 10, 2012.

1. favorelle fab

favorelle fab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Stawell, Australia
    Hi everyone,

Haven't been on in awhile, but I need some help with a little keet we hatched out in the incubator yesterday. I found a huge nest of Guinea Fowl eggs that my hen was unable to sit on, so I put them in the incubator, wasn't too optomistic about any hatching, but we got a surprise yesterday when 2 did (out of 40 eggs! the rest were no go'ers) They are both really strong, but one has yet to stand (now 24hrs) and its one leg lays behind it. I thought it may be spraddle leg, but searching pics has shown that to be more of a sideways problem... this one goes behind. I've tried taping the two legs together as you would with slayed legs, but now the little keet has both legs laying behind it... when I try to help it to stand it doesn't seem to want to put weight on it, but that could just be because its not in the right position?

Any suggestions would be great. I'd really like to keep this keet if nothing so that the other has a friend to grow with. I don't have anything due out of the incubator for a few weeks...

I'll try and post a pic it I can. Again any help would be great

Thanks,

Tracey

2. favorelle fab

Sep 19, 2011
    Stawell, Australia
    [​IMG]
    here is a picture of the keet, I've removed the tape so you can see what the leg does... the little keet tries really hard but just seem to flap around.

3. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Whenever I hatch keets in the incubator, the same thing happens. The first time, I also thought it was splay leg, so i taped the legs, and it couldn't walk at all. I took the tape off, and just waited. Within a couple of days it just goes away and they start to walk. This happens to at least 5 or 6 of my keets each hatch. I dont know what it is, but dont worry it goes away. Just make sure the brooder floor is not newspaper or anything slippery. Good luck.

4. favorelle fab

Sep 19, 2011
    Stawell, Australia
    It looks so sad, it scoots around in circles on the paper towel I have over the shavings, and I keep finding them both "nesting" under the paper towel. Any suggestions as flooring? the paper towel is usually good but even this seems too slippery for the little one...

5. bluedragon

bluedragon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2008
    Central Cali
    I'd take the paper towel out and leave them on the shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by