Help ....Khaki Campbell ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by deb1979, Apr 17, 2012.

1. deb1979

deb1979 New Egg

Mar 3, 2012
    Hi i have 2 wonderful babies they are 2 weeks and 3 days old now ,but tonight i saw one bringing some thickish clear stuff up. it was like rain drops on a bit of string,over ,or just thick water the other ducklings back ,its head was bobing up and down and i though it was being sick but i have tryed to look up and all i find is if its being sick it will have food in it,but this is not the case,they are both feeding well and drinking well ,can anyone help me explain this[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I can't help, as my duck experience is zero. But, I've had chickens for many years - just wanted to ask some clarifying questions. Does it shake its head at all? Are the eyes clear, or puffy around the edges? Was this possibly right after it ate? More info. will help others to give good feedback. [​IMG]

3. deb1979

deb1979 New Egg

Mar 3, 2012
    They was just snuggled up together when i noticed it happend,they do shake there heads after they have been in the water for a dip
    but this was like a pumping action ,i had a good look at them and all look ok eyes are clear and very alert and nostrils are all clear[​IMG] ,but after this had happend it went for a drink and was fine and now fast asleep with the rest of the chicks but i am keeping my eye on it

4. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

a few of my ducklings did something similar the first day I had them. I ended up deciding it was the equivalent of human-baby spit-up.

5. deb1979

deb1979 New Egg

Mar 3, 2012
    I never though of it like that ,a thick sort of saliva,it proberly got something stuck ,but my poor other duck got the blunt of this one on its back lol [​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do the ducklings have frequent or constant access to water deep enough to wash their entire heads? They need to be able to snoot water through their nares to prevent eye, sinus and ear infections.

Also, they can get bits of food stuck in their throats. At this young age, neck pumping indicates something stuck in their throat. Head shaking is a way they try to toss something stuck in the back of their mouths or throats.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  7. deb1979

deb1979 New Egg

Mar 3, 2012
    yep they have lots of water and have regular baths ,the head shaking (sorry its my wording) what happens is when they are sat down they kinda put there heads bach and rub there plumage like they have a itch and thankyou for you post its just good to know

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, that head shaking! [​IMG]

Sounds like they are spreading oil from their preen gland. Do they nibble at the base of their tale just before doing that?

9. heidihas2ducks

heidihas2ducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My babies did the same thick clear mucus spit up...it used to scare the patooties out of me...but it will stop...I always just snatched em up and cleared it away with paper towel and then gently rubbeg their neck...I wonder if like a newborn they have some "amniotic fluid" left over in their lungs that has to work its way out...but who really knows...good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by