Help kindling rabbits

PeanutXoXo

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
This is our first litter!
I have a bonded female pair who bred about a10 days apart. (were suppose to breed together, didnt work out)
Cadbury had her babies and everything went smooth.=)

however, now Mo, the rabbit who is still preggers, seems to be alienated by Cadbury.
Mo never digs, and the morning the babies were born to cadbury, Mo starting digging a real deep tunnel for the first time during their morning run in the yard, and goes right back there every time i let them out again. Very impressive tunnel! I suspect she is working on a nest.

Of the two nest boxes I had put in the cage (a very large cage that we made) only the one was used as a nest, the other cadbury took over as her sleeping spot.
So I added an addition to the cage, a new nest box...but cadbury is now dominating that area as well =(

Mo is now stuck in the main compartment of the cage with the food, cadbury isnt giving her space.

My question is should i just build Mo her own cage? Will the two be able to bond again after the kindling? I'm worried that they wont be friends again after their first litters, but i need Mo to feel safe to have her litter. I cant let Mo have her babies in the yard in her tunnel...we have a very nosey dog. Is it too close to her kindling for her to get used to a new habitat all by herself?

The cage they are in now has a main compartment almost the size of my bed, the nest box compartment bigger than two nest boxes, and upstairs half the size of the main compartment, and now the addition adds another compartment about 2 feet by the 3 feet. They are let out for a run twice a day until they tucker out. I used to think the cage was large, now it feels so tiny =(

What do I do with this bonded pair?

I would very much appreciate answers from people with experience in herd breeding or having bonded pairs together during kindling.
Those who breed their rabbits in separate cages wanting to give advice based on heresay, please know ive heard the same as you here and there, im looking for advice from *experience* in this situation, thank you =)

Back
Top Bottom