Help...lame/ill hen?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmax01, Feb 2, 2017.

1. cmax01

cmax01 New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Yesterday, my RIR was fluffed up, tail down and walking slow. She finally laid a shell less egg and seemed a tiny bit better in the evening. She did have green and white poop but I heard that can be normal when they eat a lot of greens. Today, when I let them out of the coop, she was in the nesting box trying to lay. She came out and was still fluffed, tail down and walking slow. I went back to check on her and she was just fluffed up and sitting in the pen, she finally laid another shell less egg about an hour ago. She's drinking but not interested in food.

I treated them and the last dose of panacur was 3 days ago for roundworms. I'd found roundworms in the poop in the coop but never saw anymore and still haven't.

Sh started laying 9/21/2016. She's been a great layer up until a month ago...she's had quite a few thin shelled eggs.

We lost a hen Saturday to a hawk and I'm not sure if that could be traumatizing and cause her to act this way but I doubt it.

Any help or knowledge would be soooo appreciated!! I'm adding pics of her, the egg and poop. I'm unable to up and run to the vet because I have 2 kids under 2.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. cmax01

cmax01 New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may be suffering from an internal laying issue or egg yolk peritonitis. She definitely has the sick chicken symptoms of walking slow, fluffed up, and tail down. I would take her to a vet if possible, but you may want to get her droppings checked at least for cocci, worms, and bacteria. Feed her some chopped egg, a little plain yogurt for probiotics, and give her some extra calcium in human calcium tablets, a Tums, or crushed egg shells. Check her crop to make sure that it is empty first thing in the morning, and that she is not getting an impacted or sour crop. Look her over for lice and mites. If she has egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying, there is not a lot that can be done other than to try to keep her comfortable. But I would try to rule out other problems.

4. cmax01

cmax01 New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Thank you so much for all the info! Egg yolk peritonitis is what I was honestly thinking [​IMG] I'll try unflavored yogurt and crushed egg shells. She didn't want anything to do with tums earlier but does want grit and water. I'm fixing to go check her crop now and again in the morning. I check them religiously for lice and mites.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some people who have hens and a vet who will help, can get supraloren implants, a hormone to stop laying for up to 4 months. Some use this treatment to help, but I don't know if that would be something that you could do. Finding someone willing to do this and the cost of the hormone implant might not be possible in your area.

6. cmax01

cmax01 New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    I gave yogurt and some corn and she's doing much better today. Her tail is almost all the way up and she's running around and greeting me like normal! [​IMG] I hope she continues to get back to her self! Thank you very much!! She's the hen in the middle of the picture. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good to hear that she is out enjoying being with her friends. Hopefully, she is feeling a lot better now from her problem.

8. cmax01

cmax01 New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Thank you! She's back to herself 100% today yay!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by