Help, lame Indian Runner mamma!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by michinrepose, Jun 7, 2011.

1. michinrepose

michinrepose New Egg

May 10, 2010
    I hope someone out there has encountered this kind of problem and can give me some suggestions. I have two Indian Runners, a breeding pair. The female recently hatched our four ducklings, two have survived and are flourishing. The problem: about a week or two after the hatch I noticed that mamma was walking funny. I've experienced Indian Runners becoming gimpy after being chased or getting caught into something, sometimes they heal up just fine on their own. But my lady duck seems to be getting worse poor thing, she can barely walk about, for her to stand she must jut out her neck and tuck in her tail in order to balance, then her little legs tremble and shake so, finally her strength gives out and she plops to the ground. Today I've noticed that the Mr is becoming very protective of his bride, even driving off the babes when they get too close, I certainly hope I'm not going to have problems with him allowing the little fellows to join the flock. Can anyone give me any advice, I'd surely appreciate it, thanks, Michele

2. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

any cuts on he feet or puss coming out i forgot what its called but it need surgery alot of times

3. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Does anything look different on the bottom of her foot??? Does you have pictures???

4. michinrepose

michinrepose New Egg

May 10, 2010
    Last night I realized that I had to take a closer look, so I waited till she was settled and was able to pick her up without causing her to panic and run. Her feet look absolutely perfect, no marks or injuries of any kind, leading me to believe that this must be purely muscular or hip-oriented. I've put in a mail to Holderread's Waterfowl Farm and I'm hoping they will have an idea of what's wrong. If anyone out there has experienced anythng like this I'd sure like to hear about it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by