Help? Late hatcher!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WooingWyandotte, Oct 3, 2011.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    My broody was sitting on three eggs (my DM wouldn't let me put anymore under her) and so far, one has hatched. Oh, and the third egg I put on a day later, so today would be day 21 for it, right? I'm so nervous because this is my first hatch I've ever had, and I want the chick that hatched to have atleast one sibling. [​IMG] I candleds the eggs at day 18, one was a dud. The other two were fertile and on there way!
    I know I should leave the egg to hatch, but what if it died in the egg? What if it was a late hatcher? What if I wake up tommorow to find out my broody killed the chick? Oh gosh.

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Having just one chick hatch under a broody isn't a problem the way it is when you're incubator hatching. The chick won't be lonely when it's got a mother!

3. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Good. Because the egg hasn't hatched. [​IMG]

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Oh well... Don't give up just yet, the one time I had a broody hatch out some eggs for me it took her 26 days to do it!
    But if she's got one to look after maybe she's less bothered about sitting tight on an egg right now...

5. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody took over two weeks to hatch out 6 chicks. It almost drove me nuts, but after tampering and worrying constantly- my advice to myself next time will be-- leave it be and she will do the work. Be patient and leave her and the eggs alone. She will get off the last egg if it is not going to hatch. You will probably wake up and there will be two little heads poking out from under mama's wing very soon.

6. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Well, the chick pushed the egg out from under her...so I put it in my bra. [​IMG] I'm not sure if she wants the egg now that she has a live chick.

7. angie3881

Maybe you could hatch the chick in your bra... [​IMG] Might be a first. Better spritz a few times a day to keep the humidity level up! [​IMG]

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I would now leave mother and chick alone to bond and start foraging to feed. Can you hear anything like clicking noises or peeping. I mean from the egg and not from your cleavage!!!

Pete [​IMG]

9. angie3881

[​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    There is a thread where a BYC member did hatch a chick in her bra.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by