Help...Laying Eggs and Broody!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newtochick, Dec 10, 2010.

1. newtochick

newtochick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    Hello all,
    I have a problem with my Silkie...she is laying giant eggs, I will try to post pics, but they are about 2.5", waaaay too big for her to lay! She is also broody! I know everyone says this can't happen, but it is with my girl, I guess she does not know the rules! I have moved her inside because the other bigger birds were ticked she would not leave the nest, (all 7 insist on using the same nesting box) they would peck and push her out and when she refused to leave they would literally sit on her and lay their egg! She would gently collect the egg and put it under her. After watching this for a few days (4-5) I moved her inside. She is still broody and laying these huge eggs though. I am not so worried about her being broody, I may even give her some eggs to hatch out, but the size of the eggs she is laying is crazy! How long can she keep this up without it killing her? She laid her first egg about a month ago, and then nothing until a few days ago! Her first was tiny, like quail egg sized, and now these monsters! We are so worried, we love her so much and I don't want her to be hurt! She does not seem to be suffering but I am sure it has to hurt her to pass these eggs! Any help, or experience with something like this would be very appreciated, I tried asking locally but did not really learn anything, so now I turn to all of you!
    Beckie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have some experience with broodies, who stopped laying when they were brooding (mine read the book) but I've never owned a Silkie, so this will give you a bump.

Meanwhile, in case you haven't seen it, there is a great article on broodies on here: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-2.html

3. newtochick

newtochick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    Thanks I will check it out, this is my first broody. I am not really so worried about her being broody as I am worried about the eggs she is laying!
    Beckie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by