1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Laying or Injured?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jan336, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Jan336

Jan336 Chillin' With My Peeps

I noticed today when I went out to my coop to check on my babies, that only one of my two hens came to me. I searched for the other, and finally found her. She was in a corner (of the coop) with her face and nose pressed against the wall eyes closed. I ran to her and picked her up. I examined her all over and found no obvious signs of wounds or trauma. I put her back, and she went into like a "hypnotic" state. [​IMG]

Then I came back ten minutes later, and one of my roosters was patrolling around her. My other hen would go check on her and leave. Is she injured? Sick? Laying? Someone please help! I have two HUGE silver dorking roosters and the two hens are just black and red sex link. Could the roosters have attacked her? I got the roosters as adults when the hens were a 5-6 months old. I have had them together for about a month or so. [​IMG]

Any insight? THANKS! [​IMG]

2. Jan336

I am in the process of uploading video and pics of this situation. I will post links when done for anyone to see what is going on and lend some much needed advice or help in anyway! Thanks [​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That really doesn't sound like she was laying.
    HAS she laid in the last few days? Lethargy could be one symptom of SO many things!

4. GoldenCometLover

GoldenCometLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    Hi - hope everything is okay - [​IMG] maybe she needs a break...2 rooster and 2 hens [​IMG] ...that's gotta be rough on the hens....especially if they are young...

5. Jan336

I am not sure so much it is lathargy. She is squating (laying on her belly) with legs spread and napping. She is also breathing heavily at times and looks like squeezing with the breathing. Advice?

6. Jan336

7. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Not sure how much time has passed since you noticed this behavor and now. Certainly the time between your first and last post (2:16-3:09) wouldn't be out of the oridinary for a chicken laying for the first time. When I've noticed mine in the middle of laying though, they might not get off of the nest, but they are at least alert and have their eyes opened. If you pick her up and move her, does she return to her original spot or stay right were you put her down?

8. Jan336

When I picked her up to examine her, I put her back on her nest. She stayed there and went back into her state. This is not like her, she is normally very active and comes to me or hangs with the others and wonders about. If she is laying, what time element am I looking at? I have to be somewhere for about an hour or two. Should I expect "something" when I return at that point? Thanks, and I am not sure if I should be excited or scared. [​IMG]

9. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I would surely expect something in an hour or two, if she is trying to lay. So, she hasn't laid yet? Definately understand your nervousness. Do you have a way to safely separate the Roos from her during the time you're gone? If she's laying it's no problem, but if she is hurt especially by one of them I wouldn't leave them alone. Just my 2 cents.

10. Jan336

Just went out and checked on her and she was gone. [​IMG]

What the heck went wrong???? She did have mucus coming from her nose and eyes. Could she have had a resperitory infection of somekind? The others are well, but she went for the worst fast when she looked well. OMG - I am shocked!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by