HELP layout my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by katsdar, Aug 21, 2013.

1. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    Please help me lay out my coop. this is the first time I have ever built anything. So please don't laugh at my pic. I have an unlimited amount of wood. So the coop is 8X6 feet and I have to finish the floor and the holes in the sides will be my windows will need help to finish them too. So here are pics, oh and how do I finish the roof? My tools are a hammer, drill and circular saw, going to buy a jig saw friday. This is what I would like, nesting boxes, roosts, trap door so the chickens can go into the house from underneath and will have a front door for them and me. broody area so the chicks won't be off the ground. and put anything else in there you can think of. It is 36 inches off the ground. yes I lifted the pallets by myself, I have 8.5 foot boards I have that I can lay across the top for the roof support, so how high for roosts, nest boxes etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PIGSinSPACE

PIGSinSPACE New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Corning, California
    I have to be honest, I chuckled...But that will work just fine. Just keep looking at other designs, then choose what you think is possible. Also, I would watch the birds once it is built. They will let you know if they are unhappy by simply, not going in at night. They will go perch in a bush instead. The whole process of learning was so much fun for me...I envy you. Have fun and just keep looking at different designs, you will find something that suits your house.

3. PIGSinSPACE

PIGSinSPACE New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Corning, California
    also, i noticed your in the southeast. You have just about every chicken eating predator there. From snakes, to weasels, raccoons and coyotes and all the hawks. Hope your dog likes chasing things, because it will be.

4. katsdar

katsdar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2012
    Armuchee, Georgia
    Well least your honest [​IMG] my husband who, is over the road trucker came home and said what a great club house and you will not believe this but my chicken coop was washed away in a really bad flood hence the 36 inches so the girls don't have a house and I have not had anything get them. I live really close to a creek too. The only thing I killed was 2 king snakes that were 3 to 4 feet long. I have newly hatched chicks running around and the girls roost where they want. This has been several months. I do have a place that was an old dog house that they go into and lay their eggs in, that is where the snakes were getting the eggs, one was last year and then one just a month ago. The girls free range all day. Go figure maybe they don't like creek chickens and turkeys. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by