HELP! leaking!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newchickmom, May 19, 2008.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have a metal roof that is leaking. Is it possible to coat it with something?

2. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    You can use caulk. Just plug the hole with a bunch of caulk, or if its a long slit, put a heavy coat of caulk on it. [​IMG]

3. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Oh, if you don' t have any you can buy it at Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot. Its about $3.00 a tube. [​IMG]

4. youthpastor

youthpastor Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    find out where it's leaking first. is it leaking through the screw holes or at the joints or at the ridge cap?

5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Can you use a roll of the metal tape. I'm not sure about it but i think its used on roofs.

6. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's leaking from several screw (nail?) holes. [​IMG]

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Get some "Shoe Goo" or a waterproof epoxie and just put a glob over the holes. That should do it.

8. Titaniumcranium

Titaniumcranium Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Black magic roofing caulk.Works great you can even put it on when it's wet.Will stop as soon as you put it on and it sticks to anything.Regular caulk won't work as good on a roof due to sun and moisture.Or stick as well to metal.

Prolly cheaper than silicone caulk too.

9. Squid Bait

Squid Bait Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    Some leaks in metal are caused by the nails backing out a bit. If you can wiggle the suspect nail with some pliers, go ahead and pull it out and replace it with a slightly bigger nail or better yet a screw. Be careful not to dent the roofing, as that would most likely accelerate leaking. Then dob on your sealant of choice (read the tubes and look for something rated for metal roofing). If the problem gets worse, it may be time to consider a new roof.

Best of luck.

Bob

10. ebaribault

ebaribault Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Antrim, NH
    Did you use the correct screws with the rubber gasket or just plain screws?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by