1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! leg injury (With pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Welshalp, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Welshalp

Welshalp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2015
    Hello,

I arrived home on Friday to a dead chicken and one with a bad leg. I took the chicken straight to the vet who said it feels fine and maybe nerve damage. She prescribed anti-inflammatory medication which we have given her ever since. Nothing appears to have changed I know it's only been 3 days but she has no control over her ankle joint and her leg just hangs there.

Any advise or ideas would be great.
    Pictures to follow

2. Welshalp

Jul 4, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. Welshalp

Jul 4, 2015
    As you can see from the picture above her left leg just hangs out but the right leg is normal

4. Deise

Deise Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2015
    Riverview Fl
    I'm so sorry, it looks like the leg is out of socket, if you put the leg straight down then move it back and up it might go back, it depends on how long it has been out. I had one with a broken leg, and set by the vet, only to have it heal out of socket. She still gets around and it doesn't seem to bother her but it is hard to go through. If you look it up on the internet they can better explain how to put it back into socket. Again I'm sorry hope this helps.

5. Welshalp

Jul 4, 2015
    Thank you for your help, I have given it a go with no success....I can't seem to find any videos which would be really useful. Her hip still moves up and down she's just unable to move her ankle part (not sure on the technical terms). She hops around and doesn't seem to be in any pain but that may be because of the medication she is currently on. The vet didn't really know too much about it as she doesn't usually deal with chickens that often.

6. Deise

Deise Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2015
    Riverview Fl
    Again I'm so sorry to hear this I wish I could be of more help, all I can offer is I've been through it or something similar and she is my friendliest, and still lays eggs without a problem. I hope this helps in so small way.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you tell us more about the dead chicken? Was there any sign of injuries from a predator or was the chicken just dead? What did she look like? Were your chickens vaccinated for Mareks disease? Has it been very hot where you live? Can your hen stand and walk at all? It would be good to find out if this is an injury, paralysis from Mareks disease, or perhaps a tendon problem from a leg bone deformity.

8. Welshalp

Jul 4, 2015
    The dead chicken was actually a three month old chick, we started letting her out a few weeks before and all was fine. Then the day of the incident i let all the chickens out (4) at 8:30am and they were all fine running around. At 5:00 I arrived home to find her dead on the patio, my partner looked at her and she didn't seem to have any puncture wounds. I then noticed the chicken in the picture limping around. I did some research about Mareks disease but just assumed it was an injury due to the circumstances.

They have not been vaccinated, they didn't come from the best breeder as they all had very bad leg mites when we got them and they wouldn't really specify an age, they just told us they had started laying. These were my first chickens so I just assumed they meant first ever time but they could've meant that year after the winter.

9. Welshalp

Jul 4, 2015
    Also it hasn't been hot here at all. She's still hopping around as if nothing happened.

10. Deise

Deise Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2015
    Riverview Fl
    Wish I had more to offer, please keep us posted, like I said my girl had a leg heal out of socket but it doesn't seem to bother her, in fact she is the most spoiled out of the bunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by