Help lethargic chick been sick and isolated

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by simon30, Dec 26, 2014.

1. simon30

simon30 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2014
    Rugeley uk
    Hi
    I've noticed a couple of days ago one on my hen was seperste from the rest of the flock n her comb was small n scaly n gone into my coop this morning and she is lying down won't move or hold her head up. So I have brought her inside put her some water down n read that is could be her crop that's blocked but that is small and soft so I have massaged it and she was a bit sick. Her eyes and closed and she it still but breathing she was eating and drinking yesterday when I checked on her but was seperate from the rest of the flock hiding and all puffed up any ideas on what I can do or got out and buy I'm in the uk

2. simon30

Dec 26, 2014
    Rugeley uk
    Hi I've just checked on her and she has died is there anywAy I can prevent it from happening to my other chicken or any ideas on what mite has caused it

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your loss. It could have been a lot of things that possibly could have killed her. How old was she, and had you recently added any new birds to your flock? Coccidiosis, enteritis, worms, and other common things can kill. Was she paralyzed in her legs, wings, or neck? Did she have mites or any respiratory symptoms? When crops are full and squishy, which can happen with many illnesses, sometimes if you massage them, you can cause the chicken to vomit, and they can choke easily. The symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, weakness, not eating, puffing up with neck drawn in, diarrhea, and ruffled feathers. The treatment is amprollium, Coxoid in the UK, or Corid in the US. Worming your flock with Flubenvet in the UK or or Valbazen in the US would be a good thing to do. A necropsy is about the only way to determine a cause of death.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  4. simon30

Dec 26, 2014
    Rugeley uk
    Hi eggcessive
    Thank you for your reply she was between 6 and 8 months old I brought 4 hens 2 black tails and 2 light Sussex all 4 are hybrids and had them two weeks before Being given 3, 3 year old hens which I gradually introduced them together over 2 weeks with them all being in one run n divided it in half the run is 6 metres long and 3 metres wide. She has been fine with the other birds I only noticed Monday that there was something wrong Ashe wasn't mixing as much but was watching and drinking normally so wasn't to concerned as I thought it was to do with pecking order as the older have been occaibsionally pecking the younger ones n yesterday she was all puffed up n neck drawn I'm but again she was eating and drinking when I took them up some Christmas treats and the this morning I found her in the condition I Said in my first post. I have been putting wormer in the water once a week in there water I use wormwood and also was putting Apple cider vinegar in the water aswell at different times. From what you have said and what I have seen it sounds like it was coccidiodis i wish I had noticed it earlier and done some thing but at the moment when I get from work there already tooked up nicely in bed

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis has 9 or more strains, and when a new chicken comes in they can bring a new strain that the others aren't immune to yet. I would also suggest taking in a collective stool sample to your vet to check for worms to see if your worm treatment is working. Flubenvet is very good as a dewormer.

6. simon30

Dec 26, 2014
    Rugeley uk
    Thank you very much for your advice I think once this snow is gone giving both my coops in the run a deep clean to ensure there safe as well again for the rest of my hens and I will look into flubenvet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by