HELP! Lethargic chick, not eating/drinking, just standing with feathers fluffed, NEED ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stinkysneakers, Nov 17, 2014.

1. stinkysneakers

stinkysneakers Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    When I went out to feed the chickens this morning, one of my rescue birds (estimated three months old) wasn't excited to be fed like the rest. He was just standing there, looking unsteady, with his eyes closed and his feathers fluffed out. I can't get him to eat or drink anything, he doesn't walk around, just makes a squeaking sound. His crop is empty and he seems to have no external problems that I have found. He is very listless and lethargic even when offered his favorite treats and with his buddies scampering about excitedly. Has anything like this ever happened to you? How should I treat him? What might be wrong? He's been like this all day and I moved him to our basement where it was warmer to quarantine him by himself. I guess step one is to worm him? But then what? Have any of you had success treating this? Like I mentioned, he's a rescue bird, so there's no telling what he came to me with. Advice please!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The first thing I would do is treat for coccidiosis asap with a course of Corid. If he's not eating or drinking you'll have to give him the medicated water with an eye dropper or syringe. Do it every hour or so the first day or two, or until he perks up and starts drinking on his own. If that's what this is he'll perk up pretty quickly provided it's not too far advanced.

3. stinkysneakers

May 1, 2014
    Thank you so much! I'll try it and let you know how it goes. Do you think being inside in the warm will help?

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    X2!!!!!

It may be nice to bring her in, you really have to make sure she drinks the water with the medication in it. I usually keep dipping their beak in a teaspoon with water. I may treat the rest as well.

5. KGreene

KGreene Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2014

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The ideal temp for fully feathered sick birds is 80-85 degrees.

-Kathy

7. stinkysneakers

May 1, 2014
    Thank you folks! Little guy is eating and drinking more now. I have him on a Nutri-drench solution for the time being. It's hard to tell if he's actually feeling better, or just hiding it better. We had a sudden record low cold snap here in GA. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Since he's eating and drinking and pooping (a lot!) I think I might quarantine him for the rest of the week and switch him and the flock to medicated feed just to be safe. What do y'all think?

8. stinkysneakers

May 1, 2014
    Also I have him in what was once our brooder area in our basement with the heat lamp on to give him a way to stay warm without having anyone to snuggle with.

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Chickens do hide their illness very well, you can try it and see how it goes I guess. If it were me I'd be treating with the Corid to make sure that problem was ruled out. If this bird, or any others, does have a case of coccidiosis brewing medicated feed won't take care of it. It doesn't contain enough medication to treat an outbreak. It doesn't even have enough to prevent an outbreak, chicks can and do often still get coccidiosis while on medicated feed. Just something to think about. Personally I'd treat and be safe then sorry. Coccidiosis can kill fast but it's so easily treated provided you don't wait to long to start treatment. Once it gets too far advanced there's no saving them. That combined with the fact that Corid (amprolium) is such a safe medication....I just can't see risking loosing birds rather then treating.

Also, if you do or are going to treat with Corid, hold off on the Nutridrench until after treatment. Corid works by starving the cocci protozoa of thiamin so you don't really want to flood them with additional vitamins beyond what they get in their feed while you are treating.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Does nutri drench have thiamine in it?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by