Help Lethargic Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Everett500, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Everett500

Everett500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    i have a total of 27 chicks that are 4 days old. One of the cornish chicks is very sleepy and has slow breathing. Its been doing this for the past 8 hours now and isnt very responsive when pecked at by the other chicks. walks VERY slowly if does walk at all and only goes a few inches before falling back to sleep. Should i seperate it from the chicks or just give it extra attention and keep an eye on it?

2. Everett500

Aug 7, 2011
    the other 26 are all fine too? is it a disease you think or maybe a birth defect? its pee'd a little bit, i dunno about poop?

3. SelfSufficient

SelfSufficient Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    San Marcos, Tx
    It could possibly be as "simple" as she's the runt at this point and has been pshed away from the feeder, Doesn't get the feed or water like the others. I had one that got lethargic 3rd day. From reading on here I pulled her out and sat her on a towel in my lap. I had prepared some boiled egg yolk and some water mixed with brown sugar (didn't really measure). The I dipped her beak a little in each - over and over for about 30 minutes. She perked up so I returned her to the brooder. I checked regularly through the day to make sure she was eating and drinking . To make sure she had opportunity at feeder without being pushed away by other stronger chicks I offered feed in my hand - the others flocked to my hand and she went to the feeder. I also replaced the brooder water with brown sugar water for the rest of that say. She's now 7 weeks old and doing well!!! :D

Good luck!

4. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Are her legs/feet showing any discoloration to a grey/blue color? They are normally a healthy pink (unless you've got a breed with colored legs, in which case it's hard to tell if they are changing color). But if they start losing their color and going grey it can be a sign of pneumonia. I had some that did that, they get lethargic with it. If you think it's pneumonia, you want to take the sick chick out and separate it from the others but medicate everyone's water. I use Duramycin for that and have had good results.

5. Everett500

Aug 7, 2011
    Well he it passed away during the night, his feet looked to be normal, im hoping he was just a runt. I'll keep a close eye on all the other chicks for any similar symptons. The ill chick was a lot smaller than the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by