HELP!!! Lethargic EE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Feb 27, 2012.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Hi my one EE is acting very lethargic today. She is sitting in one general area, teathers fluffed up, body scrunched together, eyes shut, normally not a cuddily bird lets me pick her up today and hold her. Does not struggle when I am holding her. Have not seen any nasal discharge, no raspy sound to her breathing??????? I have no idea what is going on.... Please if you have any ideas let me know.. She is a beutiful girl and normally lays well. I checked to see if she was egg bound... No signs of that either... Bird is not old. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Thank you..

2. FarmTillURdead

FarmTillURdead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    Centerville, KS
    It coiuld be a number of things Sulmet can fix. Most of the farmers in our area use that as a first defense. Seperate her - so other birds don't pick at her. Put Sulmet in her water if she is drinking. If she isn't - mix a slightly stronger solution and give it to her with an eye dropper one or two drops at a time so she doesn't get it in her wind pipe or she will get a respitory infection.
    You can get Sulmet at most feed stores for around 12 dollars. It comes in a white looking shampoo bottle with black lettering. No photos or logos.

3. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    She Died [​IMG][​IMG] Still have no idea what was wrong.. Rest of flock seems fine thankfully...

4. FarmTillURdead

FarmTillURdead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    Centerville, KS
    [​IMG] That is very sad. Sometimes despite my best efforts I will have one just die over night and I never figure out why. Could be lots of things. I had a turkey jump 8 feet up in some rafters and when he jumped down he broke his neck. Strange things happen no matter how hard we try to avoid them. Keep an eye on the rest of your babies. Look into some medicated feeds or water if you are worried about the rest. I know that intestinal worms are a problem in my area. Have you ever wormed your chickens?
    I also had one who wasn't egg bound but the egg never formed a shell to be pushed out - she got very sick and quit eating and drinking and I didn't notice until it was too late. It happens. She had a good life when she was here!
    Squeeze the ones you got left and just keep studying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by