1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help...lethargic hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JodyJo, Oct 4, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    So I have a 26 week old Gold Comet, who has been laying and been just fine...
    today I go to check for eggs and she is standing by coop door, I watched her and she seemed to
    pass a yellow watery substance...I thought maybe she was going to lay an egg...so I watched her,
    she just sat down. It was odd, so I approached her, and I have never picked her up before, a flighty girl,
    she allowed me to pick her up..so I checked her vent, nothing...I laid her in a nesting box and left.

An hour later she was still there, so I carried her to the house, and hubby and I checked her again...
    nothing...so I laid her on the ground this time in the corner of the coop...she just laid her head down.

Is she dying? I will check her again in a few hours, I am at work now...any ideas?

2. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Could be anything causing her to be lethargic. If she is skinny, it could be worms. If she is pale, it could be mites or lice. If its a sickness, you should check with a vet. If you dont have a local vet that examines chickens, call the state vet. You can find them on your states Dept of Agriculture webpage.

3. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    super healthy, not fat, but not skinny...fed exactly what she is supposed to eat, free ranges all day....young...no mites...ugh! help

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    How is she acting today? Have you seen her pass anything else? If so, what was it? Normal stool? Diarrhea? Blood? An egg or portion of an egg? Nothing at all? Is she eating or drinking today?

I'm wondering if she's an internal layer, had an egg break inside her or has very bad diarrhea? Any of those can be very serious.

If veterinary help is not an option, you may want to try getting help in the emergency and illness section.

5. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    UPDATE: she was dead by the time I got home from work....not sure what happened to her...don't think it was contagious...just sad I lost one

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry she didn't make it. It is hard to lose one.

7. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    In the past month I had two girls do that. It was like they just gave up on life. Not sick looking. Fine one day and dead the next. Slow downhill over the day. Not drinking water, eating etc. All other birds were fine. Is that what happens when they get old? Or from winter? They were 2-3 years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by