Help...lethargic hen!

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
So I have a 26 week old Gold Comet, who has been laying and been just fine...
today I go to check for eggs and she is standing by coop door, I watched her and she seemed to
pass a yellow watery substance...I thought maybe she was going to lay an egg...so I watched her,
she just sat down. It was odd, so I approached her, and I have never picked her up before, a flighty girl,
she allowed me to pick her up..so I checked her vent, nothing...I laid her in a nesting box and left.

An hour later she was still there, so I carried her to the house, and hubby and I checked her again...
nothing...so I laid her on the ground this time in the corner of the coop...she just laid her head down.

Is she dying? I will check her again in a few hours, I am at work now...any ideas?

She is not skinny or under fed..not fat..not old..was perfect yesterday!

Sme one help this person and i might
duc.gif

Possibly egg bound. Put her in the tub with really warm water for 15 min. Even flighty chickens seem to enjoy it and will relax. Make sure the water's nice and warm. She could also have an egg that broke inside of her. But try the bath 1st. Let her soak and relax, pet her and talk to her real quiet and then bundle her up in a towel or a crate somewhere quiet for a few hrs.

she passed before I could get home from work....sad, but I hope I learn enough from reading these posts to prevent it again...thx for trying to help

Quote:
interesting you said she could have an egg broken inside...she was standing there when I first saw her, and passed something yellow, must have been the yolk of her egg....does this happen often, and should I keep an eye on the others for this?

Quote:
interesting you said she could have an egg broken inside...she was standing there when I first saw her, and passed something yellow, must have been the yolk of her egg....does this happen often, and should I keep an eye on the others for this?

I honestly don't know how common it is. I've read various places of it happening to people's chickens but I'm new enough to chickens that I thankfully haven't had it happen.

Back
Top Bottom