HELP lethargic puffy chivks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tpotts1984, Jun 27, 2016.

1. tpotts1984

tpotts1984 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hi I have three chicks around 4 weeks to two weeks old that are lethargic and puffy. They did poop and it looks normal. I have given polyvisol and gave them water with dropper. They do drink. I also cooked them mash made from oats, thier food, and mealworms ground up. They did eat. I'm scared to death something serious is wrong with my girls. They are the sweetest chicks and I don't want to lose them. What else can I do? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Skyoaks413

Skyoaks413 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2016
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I have a three week old that just got over coccidiosis...she was sick when we brought her home, already blood in her poop. She was also very puffed up and lethargic, but you may have caught it before it was as advanced as my chick. I put Corid in their water for five days and she bounced back, now I've got vitamin/probiotic in the water to help the recovery. Good luck!

3. tpotts1984

Apr 19, 2016

Thanks I will pick up Corid tomorrow at the feed store. Do you know the dosage? Thank you.

4. Skyoaks413

Feb 1, 2016
    Arroyo Grande, CA

Sure no problem! I got the liquid Corid which is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water or 1/2 teaspoon per quart if you have a small waterer. Change it out and mix a new batch every day, and keep the water as clean as possible, treat for 5 days. My chick wouldn't eat or drink at first so I was mixing a tsp of starter feed with 2-3 tsp of the corid water and hand feeding her from a little measuring cup... she loved it. You should see improvement in 2-3 days if it's cocci.... good luck!

5. tpotts1984

Apr 19, 2016

Picked up their meds today. Hope they get better soon. Thank you so much for all your advice. I really appreciate it. :)

6. Skyoaks413

Feb 1, 2016
    Arroyo Grande, CA

How are they today?

7. tpotts1984

Apr 19, 2016

They are doing a little better but still more quite than usual. I'm worried about the youngest. They are all still eating and drinking. The oldest is doing the best. :)

8. Skyoaks413

Feb 1, 2016
    Arroyo Grande, CA

That is good that they are still eating and drinking, for your youngest you could try to mix a little of the Corid water with their feed plus a little bit of hard boiled egg yolk...just once a day or so to give her an extra protein boost and to make sure she gets enough medicine. That helped mine a lot. Are they on medicated feed? That helps also. Hope they get better soon! [​IMG]

9. tpotts1984

Apr 19, 2016
    Sadly everyone told me to not do medicated feed. I'm regretting that choice big time. My little one is doing better and now the middle on is worse. I think it's working it's way through. I used your idea with egg and made it a watery paste with the meds.
    I got 2 ml down the oldest
    1 ml down my middle girl
    1 1/2 down the baby
    Hoping to push meds and nutrients in thier system. I love all my girls. Thank you for all the great advice. It has helped me so much.

10. Skyoaks413

Feb 1, 2016
    Arroyo Grande, CA

I know what you mean about the medicated feed...this is my second time raising chicks and my older girls are on organic layer feed. I was hesitant about medicated feed too but honestly it helps a lot that first seven/eight weeks then you can switch to non medicated or organic after they build up their immune systems.

That's great they are taking the egg yolk and meds! Just be sure they are eating enough feed also...sometimes the egg yolk can be tough to process if they aren't eating much else. I hope they are better today! And you're welcome, I always get great advice from everyone on here so I like to pass it on also! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by