HELP LG still air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaynaDon95, Feb 8, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    It is lockdown today! I need some opinions. I'm using a Little Giant still-air incubator. Anyone who has used them before did you have to add sponges and extra water besides the water trays? I don't have a hygrometer. I need the humidity to be between 60-65 for my chicken eggs.

2. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I just hatched ducklings in my LG still air. In my area (extremely dry), at best the water trays filled give me 58% with both vents closed. I kept my vents open for lockdown and added extra humidifiers to get my humidity to 71%.

3. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Well, for me I think 58% would be ok. Not ideal but workable.

4. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Winter hatching with the low end bators is tough for getting the humidity right. With that, I've had a decent amount of success using sponges, and most recently (this past weekend) I opted not to use sponges, and just filled the water chanels with paper towels when I set the eggs. The paper towels worked just as well wicking moisture into the bator for the hatching period, and I don't have to worry about sanatizing them...just toss, and replace when I re-set the incubator. However, since you arleady are at hatch time, just put some sponges in and leave it. The eggs should be fine. Even if you go over, there is too little time in the last couple days for moisture to build in the air sack to drown the chick.

5. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    Mine was running around 40%humidity without me putting any water in the bottom, so i just ended up putting like a tablespoons worth in the bottom every other day. Then for lockdown I had vent holes closed and I pretty much filled all 3 spots in the bottom. My hatch went fine. And that was for my first hatch attempt. On 2nd attempt right now, day 4, LG still air. My temp stays steady within .5 degrees too. I think right now I have it set around 100.0 to 100.5. I need to make something that I can turn eggs without opening lid, but thats not automatic. Cheap and easy. After this hatch(I have 14 eggs in) I will make something up

6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Thank you! :) That makes me feel much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by