Help, lice infested rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sanna, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    So, someone "donated" an old rooster to us. We are a non-profit rescue farm so we get all sorts of critters.
    I'm assuming the people that had the rooster either had no clue how to even look for lice, or they knew of the roosters condition and that's why he's here. Either way, he's with us now.

This poor guy is about 11 years old and only has one eye. He's a VERY nice guy.
    I gave him a bath yesterday with Happy Jack flea & tick shampoo.
    This is what's in it.
    ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:

Pyrethrins

0.150%

*Piperonyl Butoxide, Technical

0.300%

**N-Octyl Bicycloheptene Dicarboximide

0.500%

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

99.050%

TOTAL

100.00%​

All the lice seem to be gone, or at least dead, that I can see. Question is, does this shampoo also kill the eggs that are on his feathers? I cut off the biggest balls of eggs, which means I cut off some feathers. I have no idea if this is a smart thing to do to a chicken? Didn't dare pluck any feathers.

Is there anything else I should do for this rooster? He's in a room by himself so he won't give any lice to any chickens on the farm...or any other bugs that I might not be able to see.

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I think the shampoo will do the trick. I usually is Permethrin 10 to kill lice. It will kill the adult and eggs at the same time. I think you did the right thing with cutting some of his feathers. I would wait and see in about a week or two if there are more lice. I be the old guy is so graitful tha you decided to help him :). He'll be one happy boy once he is better!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My understanding is that coconut oil will remove lice eggs.
    Dust him with sevin dust if you dont want to mess with the coconut oil, avoid the eyes and nostrils. If the eggs hatch, the sevin dust will kill the nits.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I would probably worm him too. If he's that infested with lice, he's probably got worms too.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2

6. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Good idea on the worming. I will do that.
    Thank you everyone for the advice and comments!

The rooster is looking much better today. He's a handsome guy, pretty buff. I have no idea what breed he is, probably a mix, but I'm glad he's here. He'll have a good retirement. We'll give him a couple of girls once we know he's lice & bug free. [​IMG]

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I heard that coconut oil is being used for Alzheimer's, Epilepsy, Autism, .....................Ah ,the miracle of coconut oil. [​IMG] I actually put my dog on coconut oil for seizures-just a few days ago.

Sevin is great, like Dawg said!

8. Novaleigh

Novaleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    I diluted Adams brand flea and tick (adult and egg!) liquid solution (safe to use on kittens and puppies) with some water and used it on my entire flock. On a hot day in AZ (so they didn't get cold after the dunk), I dunked my flock..one by one. I love that stuff! It is a one time use solution. No need to repeat 7 to 10 days later. My whole flock was once infested, but now mite free! =) [​IMG]wild dove population needs to keep their mites to themselves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by