1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Not a chick. The male ducks will most likely kill it.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    looks like you got yourself a house chicken.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [email protected] :

What do you I suggest I do I only have one spot to put it an thats where the ducks are

Make another spot, cause it definetly woukld not survive!!​

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Can you tell a little more about your setup? Do you have a brooder available (even a cardboard box with ventilation in the house)? Is there a broody hen involved or did you use an incubator?

The chick will require heat somehow...here is a helpful page for chick care:

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

I apologize if you already know all this and were just asking about the ducks. Some need more info. and some less, lol.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [email protected] :

Well could I wait till it geys bigger

Sure when it's about 20 weeks or so!!​

6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    First off I would never raise a single chick. They need companions- compainions of the chicken kind, or constant human kind. Easiest way: Get more chicks or give the chick to someone who has some.

You will need to keep the chick and ducks seperate until the chick is grown- like 20 weeks +. Even then the ducks will probably harrass the chicken to no end.

Were you planning on have a brooder set up with lights and such? What were your plans?

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I recall reading that male ducks and male chickens have different sexual "plumbing", the ducks' being much, much larger and differently shaped. Therefore, a hen, even a full grown adult hen, could be at tremendous risk of injury, even death, should your two male ducks attempt to mate her since she isn't designed to receive a male duck.

This precludes allowing male ducks live in the same pen as female chickens. If you're intent on having a chicken, you need to rethink the living arrangement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by