Help! Limping 6-8 week old chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JenniferC, Jun 19, 2008.

1. JenniferC

JenniferC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    One of my chickens is limping. She's sort of the runt of the flock size-wise, thought the other chickens don't seem to pick on her.

The other day I saw her hanging by herself in the coop while the others were out foraging- which is weird. This morning she seems to be hanging with the other girls, but is often sitting down rather than standing.

I looked at her legs and feet and the toes on the limping side foot are curled under- not splayed like normal.

There's no sign of injury or blood anywhere. I wondered if one of my kids might have hurt her, but I can't imagine how they would have.

Also- a couple days ago she fell in the pond. She struggled to get out, but finally just sat there floating till I got her out. Maybe she pulled something? She didn't start limping till today- or yesterday.

Do chickens sprain their legs?

Has anyone else seen this type of thing?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It sounds like a sprain. If nothing feels broken, just keep her separated and keep an eye on her.
    You might wash her foot and look to see if there is not a thorn or something in the foot pad.

3. JenniferC

JenniferC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Quote:Thanks. How important is it to keep her separated? The other chickens don't seem to mind her. I have 2 Brahmas and 2 Cochins. The brahmas fight a bit for dominance, but all my girls are pretty passive overall.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Well, if she was injured by being trampled you don't want to risk a recurrance. Likewise, you want her to rest her leg instead of trying to keep up with the others.

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    check the foot, and between the toes also..

check the legs, hip/back area for any heat or swelling..

try to keep in a confined area with soft bedding to and good feed and water..extra protein...
    so she can rest the foot/leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by