HELP!! Limping chicken!!

Sarasarasara222

Songster
Nov 13, 2017
58AFD9EC-1B9A-4242-B0BB-D07F9879920B.jpeg
13390538-56FF-4D71-9E12-0BC2FF28237A.jpeg
A8B15611-D7D6-4FD2-9B1B-0950BE1F5651.jpeg
One of my chickens who is is at the middle class of the pecking order is limping badly but her legs seem perfectly fine on the outside and I don’t know what could have caused this as my chickens do not peck hard at each other. Any ideas how to fix this and what caused it?

Chickens can have mild 'sprains' that cause them to limp.
If limp is really bothering them by inhibiting their normal activities too much, I will isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Last edited:
Chickens can have mild 'sprains' that cause them to limp.
If limp is really bothering them by inhibiting their normal activities too much, I will isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
That's really interesting! I'll have to watch for that when I send my pullets into the great outdoors, oh, and goatheads, so many goatheads!

So it can’t sit properly or walk a lot or even balance at all and I see something in the picture though I’m not sure what it is, so for the crate idea can a large cage be acceptable? How long should I keep it in there,

So it can’t sit properly or walk a lot or even balance at all and I see something in the picture though I’m not sure what it is, so for the crate idea can a large cage be acceptable? How long should I keep it in there,
Looks like there may have been a puncture that healed in the middle of the foot pad.
A bird that can't balance even while sitting is probably more than a leg/foot injury.
How old is bird?
Any chance you can make a video of it trying to walk?

Just about any cage will work. Sequence is described above.

Looks like there may have been a puncture that healed in the middle of the foot pad.
A bird that can't balance even while sitting is probably more than a leg/foot injury.
How old is bird?
Any chance you can make a video of it trying to walk?

Just about any cage will work. Sequence is described above.
But I will try your method, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom