Help!! Limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HanwellChickens, Nov 3, 2013.

1. HanwellChickens

HanwellChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    I noticed this morning that one of my blue Australorp's is limping. She is not putting any weight on her left leg. I picked her up and touched her leg, and it didn't seem to bother her. I put her on the picnic table and her immediately laid down. I then put her on the ground to be with the other chickens and she hopped to the other chickens. Is there anything that I can do for her?

I should mention, that she has a slight birth defect and had extremely short legs and her toes twist to the side.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She may have just sprained or strained her leg. I'd isolate her from the other birds in a deep bedded pen/dog crate. Don't give her a roost, as jumping up and down from a roost can injure legs further. Give some vitamins to help her leg become stronger. You can also give some probiotics and electrolytes to help boost her immune system and heal the injury.

Check the bottoms of her feet. Are they swollen or red, or do they have any black scabs? If so, she could have bumblefoot, which can cause limping.

3. HanwellChickens

HanwellChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    Thanks for the reply. I did look at her feet and they look fine. She is just laying on the shavings in the coop. What type of vitamins and/or electrolytes should I be giving her? Should I bring her into the house where I can keep an eye on her?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure what you can get in New Brunswick, but most feed stores/livestock supply stores sell electrolytes for chickens. As for the poultry vitamins, you can probably order some online, but you should also be able to find some at a livestock supply store. If you can't find poultry vitamins, you can get some poly vi sol infant vitamins from a supermarket, and give those.

And yes, I'd bring her either into the house, or into another place where you can keep an eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by