Help! Limping duck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silvermist, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Silvermist

Silvermist Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2014
    Brisbane, AU
    Please somebody! My KC hen is constantly sitting down recently, and she seems to be limping. Upon further inspection there are no visible wounds and we believe she is limping on her right leg. I don't know if photos will but I attached some. I don't know if normal vets can help my duck and even if they did my parents would refuse to take her to the vet! Please help, anybody!?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes they pull a muscle. If you have examined her and nothing is broken or out of joint,

Let her float in lukewarm water for at least a half an hour two or three times a day - keep the weight off the leg as much as possible.

I use comfrey salve or T-Relief, a little dab rubbed onto the leg - it's good for sprains. Also, you could make an Epsom salt compress and wrap that on the leg for several minutes twice a day. Don't let her drink the Epsom salt water - it is a laxative.

Pulled muscles can take well over a week to heal up.

Meanwhile, some poultry vitamins in the water once a week won't hurt.

3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    And feel free to visit over on the Duck Forum - many duck people over there.

4. Silvermist

Apr 19, 2014
    Brisbane, AU
    Well, from the pictures of my examination I guess there aren't any broken stuff, which is good. Luckily Epsom Salt is pretty easy to buy from where I'm from. Can you give me more detail on how to use it? Thanks for your quick response.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Here is the text from something I wrote a while back:

If it is a sprain, make an Epsom salt compress. 2 tablespoons Epsom salt, half a cup of warm water. Soak a clean cloth in that. Gently hold the duck and wrap the cloth around the leg and foot. Wait patiently together for ten minutes if you can both go that long.

Do this twice a day.

Epsom salt is a laxative, do not let the duck drink or eat it.

Some members put the Epsom salt water into a flat-bottomed dish and stand the duck in it, holding the duck gently. Remember, no drinking the water.

I like to use comfrey and St. John's wort on the outside of the leg and foot for sprains. I have a cream called Traumeel that has those things in it, and I put a tiny dab on the leg at night (they don't swim at night). - added note - Traumeel has been reformulated, it is now called T-Relief.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  6. Silvermist

Apr 19, 2014
    Brisbane, AU
    Update: Today my duck is walking fine and standing but I'm still not gonna take any chances and buy some Epsom Salt. Thank you again for your help :)

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

8. I guess by this point you've probably sorted the issue already but I'll post in case this helps someone in the future. One of my ducks had a limp (and like yours, not bumblefoot) that got so bad she couldn't walk. I really feared the worst but it turned out to be just a sprain that was easily treated and now she's perfectly fine again. I won't fill up the page with a humongous volume of text, but I'll link to where I've already written it up so you can read all the details of what happened to mine and how I successfully treated it. Short summary: don't panic, it'll be OK! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by