Help! Limping, then Diarrhea, then Death?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by serinat, Mar 25, 2011.

1. serinat

serinat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    I have 18 hens and two roosters. One of my hens is in quarantine and looks like she'll die any time. She started off limping a few days ago, but stayed with the flock. While they were scratching, she was just pecking, but she seemed fine. I couldn't see anything wrong, so I figured she'd heal.

Then she started moving slower, looking sick - feathers a bit puffy, not curious, slightly lethargic.

After two days, I observed that she had diarrhea, and that she was no longer roosting at night.

I quarantined her with food and water with ACV, but she won't eat or drink a thing. I just checked on her and while she's breathing, her eyes are closed. I expect her to die anytime.

This is sad, but I know you lose chickens once in a while. I was prepared to move on. HOWEVER -

**I just looked outside and saw another chicken limping!**

What is this? What can I do? Our chickens mostly free range, so I can easily scrub the moveable tractor/coop down while they're out. But we're in a cold spell, so I'm afraid anything I scrub will freeze before it can dry off. I'm afraid of an epidemic!

Any suggestions? I am heartbroken at the thought of losing all my chickens. And then starting over...

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Sounds like mereks! Google it to see symptoms and what to do.

3. serinat

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    Most of my birds are almost two years old, with perhaps a third born last August (so, over seven months old). I know it's possible for them to have Marek's, but I keep reading that it's most common in young chicks. Does it sound like Lymphoid Leukosis to anyone else? I'm still Googling, but Marek's fits better, except the age of my birds.

So basically, there's nothing I can do but cull?

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Mereks can occur in older birds. To cull is a personal decision. It is not always a death sentence when they get the disease....

I had a turkey hen that limped and showed the same symptoms as yours. I isolated her,fed and watered her with vitamin/electrolytes. After 2 weeks she pulled thru and walks with a limp. I also had the type where they get "fish eye" but no other symptoms.

5. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Is she thin in the breast and her weight feel light ? Do you ever work them? she also has the symptoms of worms and is starving . Check the weight on her. connerhills

6. serinat

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    Thank you for your help. An update:

Chicken #1, who was under quarantine, has died.

Chicken #2, who is limping, under closer examination, has a small injury on the top of her foot. While this is concerning, this is good news, because it means she might not have Marek's. I will clean her wound and keep her with the flock unless she shows signs of infection.

I am sad about the chicken dying. But I have more hope that I'm not dealing with an epidemic. Yet.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by