HELP liquid filled crop in chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grasjm36, Jun 27, 2010.

1. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    Red sex link, 2 months old??

She's been very lethargic for two days now and a little bit ago I discovered her crop HUGE and filled with liquid. When I picked her up a bunch spewed out her mouth with hardly no pressure. What do I do?! I'm new to having chicks, experinced with hens though.

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Is it like a water balloon? Sounds like sour crop, which is usually caused by eating wet food that got spoiled or eating in compost. Separate your chick and withhold food (it will just spoil since Sour Crop is a yeast infection in the crop). Add apple cider vinegar (preferably with mother) to the water since the ACV helps kill the yeast. Only give her soft foods like yogurt, scrambled eggs, etc. Several times a day, massage the crop in a downward motion...not up as the fluid can cause the bird to inhale it into the lungs and choke. When you massage the crop, you will hear girgling and don't be alarmed if the chick burps something foul smelling...the yeast infection is nasty. I usually fill an irrigation syringe 1/2 and 1/2 with ACV and water and give it to the bird when I want to do the massaging. It seems to help (though be careful to only give enough to drink...not choke the chick)! Good luck!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  3. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    Thanks so much. I have to go to the store and buy the ACV and then bring the chick to work with me. Shes just going to have to sit on my desk. Hopefully I can get this to clear in the next two days because I'm going out of town for a week. Oh dear... I emptyied her crop last night and it was not foul smelling. There was nothing out of the ordinary that I could see, just alot of liquid. This morning she seemed weak still so I put electrolytes in the water until I can get to the store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by