Help! Listless baby chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mallory2013, Jun 22, 2011.

1. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    My little Delaware 2 day old chick is acting listless. When I went to check them this morning, I noticed that the other chicks were ganging up on her and pecking beneath her eye, and she wasn't moving away. I think that they pecked her so much she has bald spots under her eyes, however the spots may have been there yesterday and I didn't notice. I took her out and applied some Peck-No-More underneath her eyes, and put her back in and the other chicks continued to peck her. I took her out again and put her in the shipping box they came in and put it half way underneath the heat lamp with new shavings as bedding, water that has 4 drops of Nutri-Drench, and mashed boiled egg. She is now laying on her stomach with her eyes closed and frankly doesn't look too good. I have been dipping her beak in the water and she has been drinking, but I haven't seen her eat since this morning. She is still peeping when I move the box. She does not have pasty butt or an impacted crop. Is there anything else I can do to save her? I'm hoping she will just need to sleep it off. Thank you for any help!

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It sounds to me like you are doing all you can. It could have things wrong inside that you can't see or do anything about. i hope it pulls through.

3. mallory2013

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Thank you, I hope she does too. [​IMG]

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    What you have done so far sounds good. You could try mixing a little sugar with the water you are giving to help perk her up. She is probably exhausted. As long as she is warm and hydrated you are doing good. Good luck, I hope she perks up soon.

5. mallory2013

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    She passed away just a little while ago. [​IMG] Poor little girl! I tried to save her but she must have had something else wrong. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

6. Moerose

Moerose Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Alachua County, Florida
    I'm so sorry.

7. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]
    I think you're right... there must have been more going on. Somehow the other chickies can tell, I think. You did everything you could [​IMG]

8. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    I'm so sorry to hear about your chick. :>

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm so sorry. It's tough when they're little like that. You can only do so much and hope they pull through. If they don't, it's probably due to something beyond your control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by