Help - Listless, unsteady, drooping wings and tail

imbzquiltn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 1, 2009
I went out to give my girls a treat just now only to find one of my Americanas not doing so well. I looked her over well and could find nothing obviously wrong. Strong legs, no bites or sore spots. Wings work. Eyes are clear and focused. She seems to be breathing well.

She just looks like she doesn't feel well. She laid an egg yesterday - a bit smaller than usual, but nothing to send up red flags. We even ate it last night and there was nothing different.

The other 3 (in that coop) seem fine. My daughter gave them a treat earlier (left overs), is it possible something didn't set well in her tummy?

She just looks so pitiful.

Ariel is an Americana, about 10 months old and has been laying since November-ish.

Help!

Her crop is full now. I don't know what her "norm" is, though. I can pet her, normally, but she does not like being picked up, so I haven't felt her crop on a regular basis.

As of now - 10 p.m., she's the same. No better, no worse. I've got her inside and I'm giving her water - want to make sure she stays hydrated. I'll give her a bit more before bedtime and say a few prayers.

Diane

Check her crop first thing in the morning, before you feed them. Her crop should be empty (nice and flat) to show that at least her digestive system is working. If it's full then that can be the side effect of another problem, or be the problem itself (ie compacted crop or pulpy crop)

How is her comb color compared to the other girls? If it is paler, she could need some worming. Or, she could be getting broody.

Well, Ariel didn't make it through the night. She went to sleep at some point and slipped away. At least she was in here with us, warm and comfortable.
sad.png

I am going to run out and check the other girls' crops now. Just for future reference. They've had time to eat some, but I should notice a difference from yesterday at the very least.

The rest seem hearty and hale this morning, so I'm hoping and praying this was a one-chicken thing.

Since they were all together when I found her, should I worry about sterilizing anything? Don't know how I could sterilize a coop, but I would willingly give it a go. . . .

Diane

Back
Top Bottom