HELP!!!! little chick really weak won't open it eye hatched with yolk sack out can't walk

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenshaun17, Jan 30, 2017.

1. chickenshaun17

chickenshaun17 New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    Help please I just had my first successful hatch 8 hatched in total but 1 was hatched with it yolk sack it of its body we left it in their but it didn't absorb it and it just dried up it is really week and can't walk an won't open eyes and it body won't fluff up we are slowly cleaning it off but I don't want know what to do I need some help

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd start by trying to get some vitamins/electrolytes into the chick, like Sav-A-Chick or Poultry NutriDrench. How long has it been since hatch?

They can be very weak just from the hatching stress, and it also sounds like the chick is sticky. You can gently wash the goop off with lukewarm water, but if it's weak, I would wait until it's stronger to address it.

I hope your chick is doing better soon.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Give it the Drench not the electrolytes. The Drench doesn't need digested. It will get to the chick quicker and avoid further stressing the chick's G.I. tract. It can live on nothing but Drench and fresh water for several days. Give it one drop only by mouth. repeat as needed every 8-10 ours until perky. Once the chick has turned the corner and perky, add the Drench to its water for the next 2 weeks to get it off to a strong start. Water should look like weak tea.
    Best,
    Karen

4. chickenshaun17

chickenshaun17 New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    Ok I will do that stuff I hope it helps it has been doing a little better but is still weak

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by