Help - little chick with pecked eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QuackyMomma, Feb 6, 2013.

1. QuackyMomma

QuackyMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    I'm new to raising chickens and ducks and posted an intro here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/742609/duck-and-chickens-intro

We had a bullying incident 3 days ago. One of the chicks pecked the other ones eyes out and now the poor chick looks like she's dying. I have them separated but next to each other so they can hear themselves chirping, moved them to a room where there's constant 35 degrees too. The bully chick seems happy, she's running around, eats & drinks, her wings are developing and she happily flaps them. The poor chick is progressively worse each day. I washed out her eyes with a cotton ball and water to try to get them to open but I'm not sure if she even still has eyes in her sockets. Her eyes don't look like they're getting any better. I figured that since she can't see where the food is, she won't be able to eat. To try to encourage her I go to her crate often and peck at food and water with my finger, put a drop of water onto my finger and rub it against her beak. Yesterday I scattered food all over her crate, hoping that she'll at least get some if she tries pecking anywhere. So far I have not seen her peck at anything. She was chirping less and less and this morning she was sitting down in her crate. I even thought I'd open her mouth and put some food in to try to get her to eat. I wasn't able to do that as she's so tiny and the top part of her beak closes over the bottom part so I cannot preen it open with my fingers.

Is there anything else I can do? Is this the tragic end result of the bullying incident? Should I euthanise her before she dies from dehydration and starvation?
    I know it's just chickens but I find it really hard to watch her suffer.

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    As sad as this is I think I would probably send this poor little thing to chick heaven and concentrate my efforts on the ones that remain. Make sure they have enough room so they aren't able to pick on each other too much. Perhaps a few small cardboard boxes with holes cut out of them like a hamster den, that way if one is getting picked on it can get away and hide.

3. QuackyMomma

QuackyMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Do you think I should euthanise her before she dies on her own? How do I do that humanely?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by