HELP- little pullets feet are swollen HUGE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crayon, Mar 20, 2013.

1. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    I am not sure what is going on- we have about 80 chickens and about 40 babies. This is a Black Australorp- she is 3 1/2 months old. Today my daughters brought her in to show me her feet- HUGELY SWOLLEN- it looks like a few toes are removed and or dead.

I have one other one that has light swelling.

HELP! I have no idea what is going on... [​IMG]

2. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    What are the temps outside? Kinda looks like frostbite, but im not sure. Does she have any dark or discolored spots on toes or bottom of her feet? Does is seem painful for her to walk?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  3. crayon

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    It is cold- we live in N. Michigan. Maybe I will have the girls bring her in. It does look like there are "dead" toes... But out of all my chickens this is the only one- there is one other one who has semi swollen, but nothing like this.

4. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I had a Rooster over the winter who had frostbite..he was the only one aswell who had it..
    Bring her inside and soak her feet in a warm epsom salt bath for 20 mins, acouple times a day. You should bring the other one in aswell.
    Hopefuly you caught it soon enough. If her feet start turning a blackish color, she might lose her feet. But hopefully she doesnt.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. crayon

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    Thank you- I do believe it is frostbite. It looks like she had poo, mud, straw and anything else possible caked in her feet and it froze. I have removed as much as possible and soaked them as you suggested. They are becoming less swollen and more pink and a few spots have bleed- so she has blood flow. I think she has lost 2 toes already and another one or two are not going to make it, but I think she will have enough balance with the ones that do make it to still live..

She is in a lot of pain though- so I am keeping her in and comfortable. :-(

6. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Glad to hear she has some blood flow! All you can do it keep her warm and give her the warm epsom salt soaks. Dont put her back out until her feet have healed. And keep a close eye on everyone else!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by