HELP!! Lockdown humidity low!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daniellenoel, May 12, 2010.

1. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    We are now on day 22.... the humidity has been good at 65% but this morning it was down to 50% I am not sure for how long it was 64% last night at 11 pm
    Should I be worried?
    We see a few eggs moving. I cannot hear any chirps although I thought I heard one.
    No pips yet..
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    slip some wet sponges clothes whatever in there you really need to get it up a bit.

3. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    above 65%???

4. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    right now it is at 65%... should I try to get it higher??

5. eggseroneous

eggseroneous Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    South-Western PA
    65 is perfect in my opinion. That's what I've been told to try to keep mine at during lockdown (between 60 and 65%). Good luck! I'm on lockdown too!

6. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I try to get Mine 75-90% ! You can take the bator into a steam filled HOT bathroom and open the lid. This will quickly increase the humidity. I use a small room heater set to 100 or on high then crank the shower on HOT!!!! when the room is filled with steam I turn off the shower then open the bator. I remove chicks, shells, and add HOT water to the trays. This also works to jump humidity up in a hurry! I also tap on the glass/plastic to imitate the hen pecking around the eggs and I also cheep to the eggs! Some times I will just gently shake the bator just enough to make the eggs move. I think this helps. I believe it just lets them know someone is there and is waiting on them. LOL It usually works! I have NEVER lost a chick do to shrink wrapping! Yes I know your not supposed to open the bator! But this is how I do it and it has always worked!!!!

I have had it take 25 days for a hatch without any problems!

Good luck and God Bless!

7. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I've never lost one to shrink wrapping either but I also never do any of that stuff. I fill the troughs as per the manufactures instructions, gets humidity to recommended level of 65% close the lid .......... and WAIT!

8. daniellenoel

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    Thanks
    We are at school so no shower available.. the humidity is between 64% and 65%... I do see one moving a bit so that is good
    I guess we will see.. no pips yet but hoping.
    is it too late if we on day 22??? How long does the egg take if it has been moving for a day or so but no pipping yet? How long can they move in the egg before pipping??
    Thanks

9. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Day 22 is fine maybe your temp was a bit low just wait and see there is no exact science to how long they move or even if they move before pipping, just wait and see how it goes.

10. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Okay I have to ask......... how do you get the bator to the bathroom?? Do you just pick it up and carry it in there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by