help! Lockdown temp spike 109

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yokrow, Oct 25, 2013.

1. yokrow

yokrow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Delaware
    I came home from work on the first day of lockdown to find to my horror the temp in the LG was 109. I don't know what caused this spike or for how long.

What would be the cause and what damage could this inflict?

I did candle a few of the eggs, not all and saw movement.

Thank you.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Hopefully not more than an hour or two.
    Anything over 104 for sustained time is death.

Check this site for temp conditions and result.

http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/poweroff.html

I've always had trouble with LG control if it wasn't new.
    It's hard to get good electronics and everything else for the price of a LG.

I had an old LG with 30 eggs in it. The temps after a couple days started swinging between 92 and 108. I quit turning the eggs figuring they were dead but 2 hatched anyway.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. yokrow

Jul 7, 2012
    Delaware
    Thanks for the reply and link.

The temp had been holding steady for days. There weren't any temp changes in the house. I upped the humidity since they were in lockdown. That was the only difference in the last three weeks.

Hatch day is tomorrow but not holding out any hope. i lowered the temp a bit last night to compensate. I hope some of the 15 hatch.

BTW, it's a still air incubator

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I got a new LG still air this year as a backup for my homemade double unit incubator/hatcher. It held temp well the one time I used it. I think the old one was just worn out. The temp can be a little lower now as the embryos are generating some of their own heat.

5. yokrow

Jul 7, 2012
    Delaware
    Since they are a few days from hatching can the combine heat of 15 eggs cause the spike in temp? It will be interesting to see how many if any hatch.

i have been keeping weight data, there are a couple of eggs that are questionable but because the shell is so dark and I am a newbie at this, I just left them in the incubator.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes I would keep them in there.
    That shouldn't be the reason because if a lot of eggs were generating heat, the thermostat should cut power to the heat element which is only 40 watts.

7. yokrow

Jul 7, 2012
    Delaware
    Thanks for thehope CC. THe incubator is borrowed and my first time using it. it would be good to know that the heater may have cut off but the eggs felt so hot to the touch.

When I left home this morning the temp was steady at 99 and humidity at 50%. i added a bit of water to the sponge I have in there.

i'm temtped to drive the 30 minutes home on lunch just to check on them.

8. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    How nerve racking that you got so far along in incubating and then had that happen. They eggs may be just fine, you never know.

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It should have a light to indicate that it's heating.

10. yokrow

Jul 7, 2012
    Delaware
    Just wanted to update. 2 out of the 15 eggs hatched on Saturday. an Olive egger that I believe is a roo (his name is Happy feet. he hatched on his back and needed help turning over but has the biggest feet we've ever seen and looked like he was tap dancing) and a partridge pend. One pipped but didn't make it. when we opened the egg he was fully formed but had not absorbed all the yolk. 5 of the eggs were infertile and the rest are still in the bator but i think we will open them up today. Today is the 25th day.

Thank you all for your advice and support. We are officially addicted now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by