Help looks like prolapse?

lovemy6hens

Songster
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
Central Texas

That's certainly... unique!

Has she just started laying? When they start, it can take a little while for the egg-making to "line up" properly.

Are you offering free-choice calcium in addition to their regular food? Oyster shell is the way to go with that. :)

If she's been laying a while, this could be a one-time occurrence. Is she still eating and drinking okay? No hunching, puffing, or lethargy?

If she continues to lay shell-less eggs or gets one stuck, you can give her a crushed up Tums for a little calcium boost.

Let us know!

MrsB

Thank you for responding! She is at least 2 years old. We mix oyster shell & grit with their layer pellets. She is very lethargic and sitting with a drooping wing. She seems much better since the egg dropped off, but is still very weak. She's drinking on her own and has eaten some shredded cheese. Her crop is completely empty and she has been regurgitating some of the cheese. Her poop is abnormal. I posted a photo of it on the other thread I started. Here it is again:

Stress can definitely make a chicken poop differently. I'd keep her under observation in a warm, dim, quiet place... like a dog crate in the garage.

I would offer her some boiled egg with vitamin water and see if that perks her up. If not, consider worming her with something like Valbazen liquid goat wormer. Her poop could indicate she has worms, which could be leaching nutrients from her.

Can you tell if she losing weight at all?

And make sure she is drinking water... It is vital that she remain hydrated... if she stops drinking, you may have to tube her water to help her get through.

MrsB

Thank you. I started her on sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim yesterday and some nutri-drench today. By last night, she was much better and has gotten even better today. She's just very weak.

Back
Top Bottom