Help loose chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by viktoriacl, Nov 14, 2010.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I noticed a black chicken with black legs and red wattle and comb just clucking around the wooded are between our house and our neighbors. Noone that I know of has chickens besides us! My husband and I have been trying to catch it all day! It goes in a tree or in a brush pile that is sooo big we cant see her in there when she gets in there. Any ideas on how to catch her? I cant imagine how she could survive the winter here in Mass without water available!

2. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Anyone ever caught a chicken???

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Go out w/cat carrier when it gets dark .Take a flashlight and treats. Aim the light on the groung showing treats near the tree. Hopefully she will come out for u & U can bring back in carrier.

4. Bird Collector

Bird Collector Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    I just recently caught a stray chicken near my work. I watched where she then found out he roosted and he went back to the same spot all the time. Once I found him a home a went and got my ladder and plucked him from the tree one night after dark. The easiest for all is to spot her before dusk and watch until she goes to roost. Let it get dark and she will be easy to get. Even if she goes in the big bush you can make noise and movment and still get her. They don't see well at all after dark. good luck. I will be waiting to see if you guys get her.

5. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    So The last I saw her was when we chased her into the brush pile. We poked and moved and rustled the pile to no evail. She is a good hider! I hope I hidnt hurt her! At dusk when my girls went in I looked all over up in the trees etc and didnt see her. I put out some food and water and I'll look again in the morning to see if she is out there. I really hope I didnt hurt her! Could she be spending the night in the brush pile on a regular basis?

6. Bird Collector

Bird Collector Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    She maybe. I had trouble finding the rooster even though I knew he was in the same tree because he was black. Thanks god for his red red waddles. I would keep putting food and goodies in the same place maybe near the brush pile and just keep an eye on that area. I bet at some point she will stay located near you. Every moring the rooster would be eating where I left his food. Made him easy to catch when I needed to.

7. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Well any luck tonight? [​IMG]

8. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    I got home after it was already dark tonight! There is no way I could see her in the dark. She was out there this morning though! I was happy to see her! I talked softly and didnt make eye contact. I walked out there slowly and left her food and water. I will try again tomorrow if it's not raining too hard! I feel bad for her. It's getting cold out there!

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Maybe if you leave a box or something filled with straw near where you found her, with food and water, she'll figure out it's a comfy spot.

10. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    That's a good idea! I just have to get whatever it is close to her. There is a bunch of brush between the grass and where she is. I have scared her so much that I dont want to make any huge changes and scare her. Maybe a plastic storage container. I could move it a little closer every few hours or something. We have a shed right there that she could go in but she hasnt so I think whatever it is needs to be closer to her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by