Help! Losing feathers and scaly skin Pics

Attila Kara

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 28, 2013
Massachusetts
My Barred Rock is losing her feathers and has very scaly skin. I attached some photos is someone could help with a diagnosis. She has feathers missing on breast, wing and back. I think it's to cold for molting here in Massachusettes. She also has some yellowish color around her head. She is eating and walking around without any problems. Thanks for any help.

Do you have a rooster? The yellow skin looks like she has be over mated by a rooster. She has new feathers growing in, in your pictures. She may have some feather-picked area around her neck, or she is molting. It is never too cold to molt--they do it according to their age usually.

They could have been picking her feathers, or if she is molting, they will molt at different times. If you get chicks all the same age from a hatchery, they will not all molt at exactly the same time. How old are they? 18 months is often the time of the first big molt and yearly thereafter, but none of mine do it exactly when they are supposed to. I would also check them over for any lice or mites. Here is a good link on molting: http://www.grit.com/animals/molting-what-is-it--how-to-help-chickens-get-through-it.aspx

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom